Monday, July 2, 2012

Our birth story...

Last morning of pregnancy...bitter sweet.

On May 29th I heard the best news ever, after enduring my diagnosis of PUPPS, my doctor wanted to induce me right away due to PUPPS potentially causing problems if we waited for me to go into labor naturally. I also was not about to sit around and wait for my little man to come, with the stupid rash. I came home from the doctor with Benson and we were both beaming with excitement!!! We tried to stay busy and keep our mind off being so nervous. We definitely did not sleep at all that night. We had to be at the hospital at 5:00am!!! So there wasn't really a point to sleeping in my opinion.
I got out of bed at 3:40 to shower and ready myself to go to the hospital. I woke Benson at 4:15 so he could shower and get ready as well. I had the biggest pit in my stomach. I had never been so nervous in my life!!! I Hannah Purcell was about to go and give birth to my first child. Of course me being the cry baby basket case that I am, cried off and on all while getting ready that morning. I was so worried about the baby and hoping he was going to be okay, and that I was strong enough to give birth to him. Finally 4:30 rolled around and we headed out to Orem Community Hospital. I offered a prayer in the car and couldn't control my tears, but felt very comforted by the spirit that everything was going to be okay.
We walked into the hospital, bags in tow. I registered myself and we were taken back to our room. It was very large and nice. I would be delivering and finishing out my stay in the same room. I immediately was made comfortable by the nursing staff. I got dressed in my hospital gown...(I'll admit I loved the excuse to be able to wear nothing and just a gown, it was so much more comfortable!!!) I jumped up on the bed and my admitting nurse started hooking up my IV. I must say the IV and blood draw hurt SO bad!!! I am not a bleeder, and have a hard time giving blood or finding a decent vein for IV's. I wanted to cry. Our admitting nurse finally found a vein that'd work and we got the pitocin and saline started. I was checked and was only dilated to 2cm. After being all hooked up, and made comfortable we started the waiting game. Shift change had come along at 6:00am and I received another amazing nurse. She checked me and I had been dilated to 3cm 100% effaced. So things were slowly moving along. At this time I was feeling slight contractions, but nothing too bad. Time went by, I kept myself entertained by catching up on Glee episodes I have missed and sleeping. by 7:00am my nurse came in to check me again and she said "Okay, do you want the epidural?" I didn't know what to say... I was afraid to make this decision for myself. Benson had just barely left to grab something to eat and I was all alone. I asked the nurse " When is the best time to get the epidural? I'm so nervous." She said " Get it now before he breaks your water, because after he does that, that's when the real pain starts." I think I am someone who is not meant to experience the pain of child birth. So I made the immediate decision that I was going to get the epidural.

Catching up on some Glee.

The nurse put in my order to the doctor and he came right away. I didn't think he would get there so quickly, it was like getting my Jimmy Johns order...freaky fast delivery. I was still alone due to Benson getting food. I was told to sit on the edge of the bed and Dr. Lyman started his procedure. I was trying so hard to hold still and not shake. My sweet nurse came over and held my hand because I was so nervous. To my relief Benson walked in just as I was receiving the numbing shot. I wasn't going to have to go through this alone!!! 10 minutes later Dr. Lyman said "okay your done lay back and enjoy!" I was so surprised, I didn't feel a thing!!! I sat back, let my body get warm and tingly and I could no longer feel from the waist down.



For the next hour I would sit and watch my contractions and babies heart rate on the monitor. My nurse then came in and took my blood pressure. When the machine released the pressure off my arm the machine went crazy and was beeping. The nurse checked babies heart rate, he wasn't doing so good. My blood pressure was so low that I wasn't getting oxygen to the placenta so when ever I had a contraction baby had a really hard time recovering from it. I was placed on oxygen.

On my oxygen for the whole duration of my labor.

 I was placed on nurse checks/ blood pressure checks every 15 minutes. An hour later my blood pressure was not coming back up. There were high concerns for the baby at this time. My nurse finally came in and said, "I'm going to try a couple more things if it doesn't work then we are pulling you in for an emergency C- section." My pitocin had to be lowered, and then I was given a medication to increase my heart rate. Still being on my 15 minute checks, I began to get really worried. I didn't want to have a C- section, but I was so worried that baby wasn't going to be okay. I said a quiet prayer to my Heavenly Father that my baby and I would be okay. After giving me several doses of the heart rate medication, and being on constant oxygen things started to improve. My nurse finally figured out that if she keeps giving me doses of the heart rate medication it improved our situation and we wouldn't have to rush me in for a C-section. I was then put on 30 minute checks, and my pitocin was put back at the normal dose but baby was still on a close watch.
Finally feeling at ease the next few hours went by fairly quickly. I took lots of naps, watched more episodes of glee and surfed the Internet. I did hate when the nurse would bring in my food tray, but unfortunately I wasn't able to eat any of it. I was told I couldn't eat, except for clear liquids. I was STARVING!!! I hadn't eaten since 10:30 the previous night. So Benson got to eat my food trays... and I ate my Popsicles.


I was then 5:30 pm and my Mom and Dad joined Benson and I in our room. I wanted my mom there for the delivery. Next thing I know my nurse is coming in, checked my cervix and said "Okay you are a 10! I'll call Dr. Judd and we'll get this little guy here." This was the part I was nervous for, I was nervous that I wasn't going able to bring Kymani into this world. My nurse came back and said okay we are going to have you start pushing. She got me all prepared and I started to push. I had heard embarrassing stories of women who had a bowel movements while pushing. I was more focused on trying not to embarrass myself (because I couldn't feel a thing due to the epidural). Finally Dr. Judd had joined us and had asked me to start pushing. He said " This is a big baby, and he's not moving a whole lot. You can sit here and try to push for the next two and a half hours, or I can have him here in 5 minutes with the forceps." By this time I was pretty exhausted and decided that forceps sounded like a pretty good idea. When we got started, (sorry TMI) I felt as though my insides were being ripped out of me. The epidural had slightly wore off so I had a little bit of feeling, I had never wanted to be over so badly as I did then. Finally our little man was out! I instantly was trying to listen for his cry. I was hoping everything was okay and he wouldn't have to go to the NICU. He was making gurgling noises and as they cleared his mouth and lungs he was crying. Hearing his cries were instant relief. I had noticed he had some rolls on his legs and arms. He had a little bit of wavy hair. I sat there in the bed, while Benson, my Mom and Dad were over in the corner of the room watching baby get weighed and wiped off. Finally they swaddled him and I was handed the love of my life.
Everything had changed for me when they handed me my son. I hadn't seen anything more perfect in my life, 10 fingers and toes so little and perfect. A sweet head, with baby fuzz. I had never seen anything so sweet. I never knew I could fall so in love so quickly with anything, but it is possible when you see the sweet face of a newborn. My Kymani Mosese Powelson Purcell had finally arrived on Wednesday May 30th, 2012 at 6:08pm weighing 8lbs. 10oz.


Youngest Steelers Fan

Skin to Skin with Daddy

Skin to skin with Mommy
Sweet sweet boy
Heading home!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment